Ajowan or Ajawayan is a very common ingredient of Indian cuisine. It is found through out the length and breadth of the country and is commercially grown in a number of provinces.
The Plant: Its plant is about 1 to 3 feet in height and its seeds are used in different medications in different systems of medicines like Yunani & Siddha etc. It is warm in nature and aids in digestion, cough, gastric ailments, pain and helminthiasis etc. It also relieves painand massage with ajowan oil brings relief in pain and swelling.
Different Names: It is known as Ajwayan in Hindi, Yavanika in Sanskrit, Ajamod in Gujarati, Oma in Kannada& Ajowan in English.
- Ajowan and black salt if taken with water relieve gastric problems, indigestion and stomach-ache.
- One TSP of ajowan seeds if taken daily aid in digestion.
- In case of stomach-ache , grind ajowan seeds, black salt & dry ginger. taking this powder with water brings quick relief.
- You can add a pinch of ajowan seeds to the dough for making chapathis/ paranthas. It is very tasty as well as easy to digest.
- Taking half TSP of ajowan seeds along with butter milk at bed time helps in expulsion of helminths. In case of kids having helminths, you can give half TSP of these seeds 2-3 times in a day.
In cough & fever:
- Chewing of 1 TSP ajowan seeds & drinking it down with warl water helps in cough.
- Boil ajowan seeds in water. Drinking this water brings relief in flue.
- Chewing one TSP of seeds and drinking it down with hot tea 2-3 times in a day brings relief in cold, cough, headache & joint pain.
- If chewed along with betel leaves, they aid in cough & gastric problems.
In Skin Troubles:
- Boil seeds in water. Washing and cleaning wounds, boils & exima etc with this water and application of grounded ajowan seeds to the affected parts brings relief under these situations.
- It also acts like an antiseptic.
- Consuming half TSP ajowan seeds with half cup water also aids in skin related problems.
- Burn its seeds and powder them, now add rock salt and use this mix as a tooth powder for cleaning teeth. It aids in teeth and mouth related problems.
- Application of grounded leaves on insect bites helps in reducing pain & swelling.
- During pregnency if taken with jaggery, it helps in pain relief.
- Taking butter milk with black salt & half TSP seeds daily after lunch helps in correcting gastric problems.